Active Energy Building
The apartment building, designed by falkeis2architects, is a thoroughly unique project. The goal was to develop a sustainable building that is energy autonomous. The Active Energy Building is independent of fossil fuels; only renewable forms of energy are used. The building also takes an active role as an energy producer and supplier within an "Energy Cluster", a building network with neighboring buildings. For this new type of building, new building-integrated energy generation systems were developed and successfully implemented for the first time. PV tracking systems and PCM air-conditioning wings, as part of a movable building envelope, use solar and interstellar radiation to air-condition the building.
Furthermore, the building has a high degree of adaptability due to its effective structure, allowing it to respond to changing spatial requirements throughout its life cycle. In its entirety, the Active Energy Building contributes to improving the quality of life while reducing energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. Through the newly developed decentralized energy generation systems, it contributes to a democratization of energy production and its distribution.
Completed 2019. area: 3,187 m²
Energy and environmental aspects:
- Controlled living space ventilation with heat recovery.
- Geothermal energy
- Photovoltaic system with 34.79 kWp, which can increase earnings by 291 % with a tracking system
- Solar thermal
- PCM climate wings as part of a movable building envelope
- Solid construction
- Heating energy demand (specific): Qh,eff= 14 kWh/m²a
- PCM climate wings total weight: 2,501 kg
Building labels and awards
- IBK Sustainability Award 2017 (nomination)
- Energy Globe Award 2020 (National Winner Liechtenstein)
Pictures and Drawings
AGPB Media, Factsheet & Video
- Marxer family
Architecture & research
- Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts, Dr. Fischer